George Benson and Al Jarreau's new collaboration looks to be one of the most highly anticipated CDs of the year.
George Benson and Al Jarreau have recruited an all-star cast for their highly anticipated duets album titled Givin' It Up. The 13-song CD is a mix of cover songs and originals. Trumpeter Chris Botti and vocalist Patti Austin are featured on a song written by Jarreau called “Let it Rain,” while Paul McCartney joins Benson and Jarreau on a cover of Sam Cooke’s “Bring It On Home to Me.”
Elsewhere, there are two new versions of Benson and Jarreau’s most famous songs. Jarreau wrote new lyrics for Benson’s “Breezin’,” while guitarist Benson returns the favor by performing an instrumental version of Jarreau’s “Morning.” The superstar pair also cover Seals & Crofts’ "Summer Breeze,” Paul Young's "Every Time You Go Away," John Legend's "Ordinary People," Billie Holiday’s “God Bless the Child” and Miles Davis' "Four" and "’Long Come Tutu."
Original tunes include “All I Am,” “Givin’ It Up For Love” and “Don’t Start No Schtuff.” Among the many musicians and co-writers on the CD are Marion Meadows, Rex Rideout, Freddie Ravel, Herbie Hancock, Jill Scott, Patrice Rushen, Marcus Miller, Larry Williams, Abe Laboriel, Vinnie Colaiuta and Stanley Clarke among others.
Givin' It Up, a collaboration between Concord Records and Monster Music, will be released Oct. as a two-CD SuperDisc package, featuring a variety of high resolution audio mixes..
Givin’ It Up Track Listing
1. Breezin’ (Bobby Womack/Al Jarreau) - (5:40)
2. Morning (Al Jarreau/David Foster/Jay Graydon) - (5:02)
3. ‘Long Came Tutu (Marcus Miller/Al Jarreau) - (6:37)
4. God Bless the Child (Billie Holiday/Arthur Herzog Jr.) - (3:40)
5. Summer Breeze (Darrell Crofts/Jimmy Seals) - (5:01)
6. All I Am (Rex Rideout/Phillip Taj Jackson) - (3:23)
7. Ordinary People (John Legend/will.i.am) - (5:18)
8. Let It Rain (Al Jarreau/Barry Eastmond) - (4:54)
9. Givin’ It Up for Love (Al Jarreau/Freddie Ravel) - (3:57)
10. Every Time You Go Away (Darryl Hall) - (4:30)
11. Four (Miles Davis/Jon Hendricks) - (5:15)
12. Don’t Start No Schtuff (Al Jarreau/Joe Turano) - (4:44)
13. Bring It on Home to Me (Sam Cooke) - (4:25)