Contante & Sonante presents: Fly Away "The Songs of David Foster"
January 27, 2009
Fly Away / The Songs of David Foster is an album that brings new life to some of the brighter gems in the immense catalogue of David Foster. Featuring a spectacular cast of vocalists, including Bill Champlin, Jeff Pescetto, Cecily Gardner, Robbie Dupree, Bill LaBounty, Joe Pizzulo, Ole Borud, Bill Cantos, Arnold McCuller, Frank Adahl, Lisa Lovbrand, and the unforgettable Warren Wiebe, backed-up by an elite group of studio musicians, including David Foster himself, Jay Graydon, John Robinson, Michael Landau, Paul Jackson Jr, Nathan East, Abe Laboriel, Neil Stubenhaus, Dan Warner, Jeremy Lubbock, Tollak Ollestad, Ramon Stagnaro, Brandon Fields and many others, this is a once-in-a-lifetime record that will not fail to live up to the expectations of the most demanding Foster fans.
In advance of the release of the full-length album, Contante & Sonante presents a limited edition 3-song EP previewing two of the album's songs, "In The Stone" and "No Explanation", plus a BONUS TRACK,"After All", performed by the soulful Leslie Smith, which is available only on this EP release.
"In The Stone" is a powerful cover of the Foster-penned Earth, Wind & Fire classic. This amazing version is respectful to the original yet presents exciting new elements. The legendary Bill Champlin on lead vocals adds some soul to this funky jam, supported by the smoking Danish All Star Horns and an all-star rhythm section that includes John "JR" Robinson on drums, Nathan East on bass and Paul Jackson Jr. on guitar.
"No Explanation", originally performed by Peter Cetera for the Pretty Woman soundtrack, is a ballad that Foster co-wrote with singer/songwriter Bill LaBounty. What a treat to listen to LaBounty's take on his own song! The acoustic setting is perfect for the singer's evocative performance, supported by the wonderful harmonica of Tollak Ollestad and some tasteful guitar playing by Dan Warner. The result is pure bliss.
"After All" is one the musical gems that Foster created with Jay Graydon for Al Jarreau. Here, an inventive arrangement breathes new life into this smooth ballad, featuring the voice of the very soulful singer Leslie Smith, a horn arrangement by Jan Glaesel, and fantastic musicianship by session greats John "JR" Robinson, Abe Laboriel and Dan Warner. Remember, this wonderful track won't be included in the full-length album, so you won't want to miss it!
EP track listing:
1. In The Stone (Bill Champlin)
2. No Explanation (Bill LaBounty)
3. After All (Leslie Smith) * bonus track not included on the full-length CD
CD track listing:
1. Prelude (Tomi Malm --feat. D. Foster)
2. In The Stone (Bill Champlin)
3. No Explanation (Bill LaBounty)
4. Jojo (Arnold McCuller)
5. The Colour Of My Love (Frank Adahl)
6. Heart To Heart (Jeff Pescetto)
7. Fly Away (Robbie Dupree)
8. Look What You've Done To Me (Cecily Gardner --feat D. Foster)
9. Through The Fire (Ole Borud)
10. The Best Of Me (Lisa Lovbrand)
11. Nothin' You Can Do About It (Frank Adahl)
12. Whatever We Imagine (Bill Cantos)
13. When Will The World Be Like Lovers (J. Pescetto, R. Dupree, B. Cantos, A. McCuller, J. Pizzulo and F. Adahl)
14. Live Each Day (Warren Wiebe)